Thursday, November 22, 2007

Buy Nothing Day, Taiwan n' Newfoundland


I can't decide if they purposely put Buy Nothing Day at the same time as American Thanksgiving weekend to make a point or if it was some colossal mis-scheduling. "Thanksgiving: these days, it's about a whole lot more than just killing those pesky natives..."


I fully support this event, but I really think they shot themselves in the foot choosing a day when the idea of buying nothing in support of combating rampant, out of control, and self-destructive consumerism is likely to get drowned out by abnormally high levels of rampant, out of control, and self-destructive consumerism.


Then I checked around a little and found out that this is predominantly a UK event. I couldn't even find one listed for the US. As Robin Williams said, "Taking a Quaalude after snorting cocaine is like tossing bricks into the Grand Canyon," if you know what I mean.


Buy Nothing Day is scheduled to take place in numerous countries, including Taiwan, but in true Formosan fashion we are holding it on November 25th, a day later. It will be like TV in Newfoundland: a little after everyone else and the reception might not be so good.

4 comments:

said...

I hadn't heard about it (then again, I live in a very isolated place), so thanks for the heads up. I'll try to abstain.

Sean Reilly said...

Rae, I already messed up and it wasn't even noon yet. I went into a store to ask a friend of mine about something and accidentally bought a pound of coffee beans. It was a reflex action. At least it was a small business, I guess.

Sean Reilly said...

Although since I'm in Taiwan, I have another chance to buy nothing on Sunday...

said...

I also messed up and bought a book. My girlfriend convinced me to go late night shopping and I totally forgot. Damn.