Friday, October 12, 2007

The good, the bad and the desperate...



Last week I read an article called Inside France's Secret War, which provided another depressing example of the evils of empire. It is set in the Central African Republic, a country that maybe five or six people could find on a map.

Today I found a painting called The Desperate Man (above) which is a self portrait of Gustave Courbet; a French artist who is well worth reading about.
I am fifty years old and I have always lived in freedom; let me end my life free; when I am dead let this be said of me: ”He belonged to no school, to no church, to no institution, to no academy, least of all to any régime except the régime of liberty.
So I guess there are good French and bad French, just like there are good Americans and bad Americans, and I'm afraid even (Gasp!) good and bad Canadians.

No comments: