Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Did the San Francisco Earthquake prompt the Cuban invasion of 1906?


This image was originally posted at USGS


Yesterday was the hundredth anniversary of the Great San Francisco Earthquake and Fire. As I looked through photographs of the destruction, I was reminded of the next most devastating event on American soil; the events of September 21st, 2001. I don't really count the attack on Pearl Harbour, as I've never wholly considered Hawaii as belonging to the United States.(1)

It was the first time I had looked at the two events side by side. On April 18th, 1906, a 7.8 - 8.1 magnitude earthquake rocked the west coast of North America (Turtle Island) and started the Great San Francisco Fire. On September 12th, the cruiser Denver sailed into the Havana Harbour, and what followed was several years of American occupation.

On September 11th, 2001, the World Trade Towers in New York City were destroyed and the Pentagon badly damaged leaving nearly three thousand dead. On October 7th, American and British planes started Operation Enduring Freedom (pause for Orwell grave spin) which I have previously referred to as "the War Against Low Income Afghani Housing," which has been followed by several years of American occupation.

The question remains, "Did the San Francisco Earthquake prompt the 1906 invasion of Cuba?" It's as good of a motive as has been given for that invasion or any of the ones after. Who knows what the truth is? Maybe Teddy was having a bad hair day.
Cuba had as much to do with the San Francisco Earthquake as Afghanistan did with New York's missing skyline. I guess we'll never really know for sure.


(1) I also have my doubts about Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, etc., but that's not where I'm going with this.

No comments: