Saturday, February 04, 2006

Chinese Taipei?


This image was originally posted at Ilsa Formosa

It always makes me uneasy when I find myself in agreement with US congressmen, especially if they're Republicans, but I have to agree with some of the remarks made by Representative Tom Tancredo from Colorado in regards to the naming of Taiwan's sports teams,
"For more than 20 years, because of pressure from the People's Republic of China, athletes from Republic of China (Taiwan) have been forced to compete under the name `Chinese Taipei' in the Olympic Games even though Taiwan is not subject to the control of the unelected government in Beijing," Tancredo wrote.

"Major League Baseball and the World Baseball Classic should not follow the example of the International Olympic Committee by acting as an accomplice in Communist China's illogical and obsessive effort to restrict the freedom and insult the dignity of the 23 million people who live in Taiwan," the congressman wrote.

I was happy to see the word 'Taiwan' placed on 'ROC' passports two years ago and I will be happy to one day see the word 'Taiwan' on the backs of Taiwanese jerseys. It would also be nice to see Taiwan in the WHO and in the General Assembly of the UN, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I see that Cuba will be playing in the World Baseball Classic as Cuba and not as 'American Havana' which would make about as much sense as Chinese Taipei.

No comments: